Friday, March 2, 2012

DIY Air Fresheners

As I love Pinterest so much, I have found another project for the home. I've been buying air fresheners that don't last very long and can seem expensive after a while. I have essential oils on hand so why not? Well I looked up a couple different kinds last night. The first one is a gel air freshener that uses gelatin, salt, essential oil, and water. I have all of the above on hand. I have been saving glass Frapuccino bottles so I used them too. I saw a bunch of cute things to reuse them. I like the drink too so that wasn't so bad either.
Back to the gel air fresheners.

Ingredients:
4 Envelopes of Gelatin 1oz.
2 Cups of Water, divided
1 Tbsp. Salt
20-30 Drops of Essential Oil
Food coloring if you want

Direction:
Boil 1 cup of water, add the 4 envelopes of gelatin and whisk until dissolved.
Remove from heat and add 1 Tbsp. salt and 1 cup of cold water and set aside.
Fill your container with essential oil and coloring
Then pour in the gelatin mixture into your containers.
Mix well and set aside for 6 to 8 hours until firm.





I used sweet orange in one and Lavender Vanilla in the other. Both smell great. Even while its cooling off the house smells great.

The next one I tried is a cheaper version and easier. Its baking soda and essential oil.

Ingredients:
1/3 Cup Baking Soda
30 Drops of Essential Oils
Wooden Chopsticks
Hammer
Nail
Bottle with Lid

Directions:
Using a funnel pour in the baking soda, then add the drops of essential oil. Mix well with chopstick. With the lid using a big nail and hammer, poke plenty of holes. Put lid on and place in any room.




These came out very successful. Both are effective and Next time I think I will keep with the baking soda. Gelatin is more expensive then baking soda. Next time anyone needs some clearing of the sinuses then I will make one with eucalyptus.

No comments:

Post a Comment